Tuesday, May 29, 2007

¡Ya llevo 14 días en Guadalajara! The only downside of being here for two weeks is that I have spent all of them in a hotel. It is actually a luxury hotel, but I despise the fact that the bellhops and attendents and maids (somehow that makes me think of J.Lo) know my comings-and-goings, even if I am only going back and forth to work and to get some food. Speaking of work, that's why I came and where I am now. Actually, most of the time I am working. Turns out that the work week here is 45 hours long, plus the five hours when I am on lunch break but technically tied here.
Really, though, I like where I work. I am in the main offices of a renowned tequila company, and about an hour outside of the city is a historic hacienda where the agave plants are planted, harvested, cooked and mashed, and then the honey juice is separated and sent to the fermentation tanks where it is turned into alcohol by natural air-borne yeast, and then piped into the distillation tanks to be purified, and then onto barrels to be aged if necessary (if it is going to be Reposado-- rested or Anejo-- aged instead of Blanco-- white tequila). And then of course it is bottled, labeled, boxed and shipped out to be enjoyed. Whew.

No comments: