Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Working Girl

Today I reported for temporary duty at a local corporation (anyone else think that is an ironic pairing?) after being called in a bit off the cuff on Monday when I was on my way to Lexington for fun and poetry. I did manage to squeeze those things in before starting by jabbering endlessly with Carrie, downing a couple of pints and being amazed by Saul Williams and some UK student-poets, and now my life has changed. Actually, it is not all that dramatic, but instead of being farmed out to one of the many departments, I am in Human Resources and learning all about hiring people. I will be assisting two great women in something, as I have passed all of the computer proficiency exams (thanks be to my thorough undergraduate education!!) and plan on showing up tomorrow. I am most looking forward to lunch break, the office gossip and the swivel chairs. Really, it should be quite bearable and neat, and pays in dollars, which is a real perk.
It is a welcome opportunity, considering that today I was finally informed of the outcome on the OTHER job: "Thank you for interviewing for the SOS position. All of us were impressed with not only your experience but also all of your positive energy. As you know, there were many candidates for this position and you were among the top three. While we loved your background and abilities, we ended up choosing a person who could give us a multi-year commitment. It was a difficult decision and we hope you understand."
I can't say that I'm broken-hearted. They made me feel good about myself, and even better that I am not the one making a MULTI-YEAR commitment. I just can't swing that yet, and I have majorly ridiculous adventure plans coming up soon (after the paychecks start rolling in) which include a lot of art, travel, writing, new acquaintances, friends and soon-to-be disclosed project for combining them all. Stay tuned for that.
Also today, I visited the Kentucky Museum for Art and Craft, bought supplies for my acrylic painting class and ate Cuban food for dinner with my family (washed down with a -singular- sangria made by a lovely Venezuelan woman). What treats in this life!
But, now it's almost 10:30 pm, two hours later than my retiring time last night, and I have to join all the worker ants in the march to the work colony early tomorrow. So, adieu for now.

No comments: