Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Series of Fortunate Events

I just read the poem that Carrie sent the FJ:

We must become ignorant
Of all we've been taught,
And be, instead, bewildered.
Run from what's profitable and comfortable
If you drink those liquors, you'll spill
The spring water of your real life.

Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation
Be notorious.

I have tried prudent planning
Long enough, from now
On, I'll live mad.

Then, I received an email reply from a glassblowing studio in a small town outside of the capital city of Oaxaca, in Southern Mexico, where they use recycled glass to make cool wares and try to keep the studio as sustainable as possible. They are evidently willing to train me.

Then, I ate a Dove Chocolate that commanded me to "Do Something Spontaneous."

And, prior to that, I never heard back from the job that I had really thought I wanted.

I took an informal survey of all opinions expressed to me by friends and family concerning my decision between a stable job here or a leap into art and further foreign travel, and it weighed strongly in favor of running "from what's profitable and comfortable."

Further, I finished Narcissus and Goldmund and rejoiced in the triumph of the wandering artist, who lived a life full of adventure, suffering, hardship, discovery, passion and illumination that led to him being contented in the culmination of his creations and deep understanding of the world and sacred feminine.

And, I have had the fortune of being advised by numerous established older people who have lit up upon hearing of my adventures and admonished me to travel without hesitation.

Fortunate, indeed.

1 comment: